Match Report: Clann Eireann v Dromintee

With Shaun Casey

Clann Eireann v Dromintee

Senior Championship Round 2 – 28-08-17

Clann Eireann now progress to the Quarter finals of the Armagh SFC after a two point victory over Dromintee on Monday evening. Having led by 7 points at the start of the second half, Clann Eireann had to battle until the final whistle to hold off a strong Dromintee come back. Although Dromintee couldn’t get any closer than the two points that separated the sides at the end.

Dromintee made a bright start winning the throw in, which led to Shane McCoy slotting over a free in the first minute. Clann Eireann then raced into a 4-point lead. Conor McConville scoring 1-2 (0-2 frees) to leave the score 1-2 to 0-1. Both his points the result of forced turnovers won.

Dromintee answered back with a goal of their own when Cathal Fagan won a short kickout, beginning an attack which ended with Aidan Morgan sending the ball into the corner of the Clann Eireann net. Leaving a point separating the sides. The margin was soon extended once again. Clann Eireann’s Daniel McKavanagh drifted forward from his corner back position to calmly dispatch his sides second three pointer.

Two saves from Dromintee goalkeeper Phillip McEvoy denied further goals for Clann Eireann. The second producing a counter attack with Cathal McKenna finishing with a point to leave 3 between the teams once again. A turnover by Adam Kelly created a counter attack for Clann Eireann, Ryan Owens linking up with Conor Turbitt to win a free.  McConville converted bringing his personal tally to 1-3.

Utilised as a sweeper by his side, Jack Wilson forced a Clann Eireann turnover which resulted in Conor Turbitt’s first point, before McConville once again converted a free.  This left the half time score at 2-5 to 1-2 with Clann Eireann deservingly in front. 0-4 of Clann Eireann’s score originating from turnovers.

2nd Half

Beginning where he left off, Conor McConville was on target pointing from a dead ball to opening the second half scoring. Before Dromintee responded with a point of their own from a Shane McCoy free kick. Conor Turbitt got his second point with a 45 before Dromintee again responded through an Aaron Boyle point. While Shane Carroll reduced the margin to 5.

Once again Conor McConville  converted a free kick. After Ryan Henderson forced a dispossession in his own defence, producing another counter attack for his side.  Dromintee went in search of a goal in the final 10 minutes. To no avail as Conor Bell cleared the ball from the Clann Eireann goal line. While they also failed to convert two free kicks.

Dromintee did score 5 of the final 6 points.  Aidan Morgan pointed twice from the dead ball before Conor Martin left the gap between the sides at 3 points. Cathal McKenna got his side within 2 points until Turbitt was again on target from a free to push Clann Eireann further ahead.  Martin scored again for his side before the referee blew the full time whistle. Clann Eireann the victors with a 2-9 to 1-10 win.

Clann Eireann:  Sean Corry, Daniel McKavanagh (1-0),  Conor Turbitt (0-3), Ryan Ownes, Odhran Downey, Barry McCambridge, Declan Leathem, Ryan Henderson, Jonny Terrode, Adam Kelly, Conor Bell, John McLoughlin, Conor McConville (1-6), Jack Wilson, Paul McKenna. Subs: Brendan McCarron for J. Wilson, Mark Beattie for J. Terrode, Ryan Meehan for A. Kelly, Ruairi McConville for D. Leathem

Dromintee: Philip McEvoy, Ryan Gaskin, John Molloy, Cathal Fegan, Darren McKenna, Conor Hoey, Peader O’Hare, Gareth Kilgallon, Gareth McCrink, Aaron Boyle (0-1), Shane McCoy (0-2), Niall Quinn, Cathal McKenna (0-2), Aidan Morgan (1-2), Shane Carroll (0-1). Subs:  Peter Campbell for N. Quinn, Aaron McKay for C. Fegan, Conor Martin (0-2) for S. McCoy, Niall Courtney for G. McCrink.